Top Country Albums CULTURE From Taylor Swift to Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash.
The best country albums were named by Rolling Stone magazine. The rating of 100 records was compiled by music journalists and critics.
Country music became a commercial product almost 100 years ago. This came after the so-called Bristol Sessions of 1927 with the Carter family and Jimmie Rogers. That is, the genre is older than soul and even rock and roll.
Top Country Albums: From Dolly Parton to Taylor Swift
However, country artists have long remained something limited. In the sense that only visitors to pubs for those “over 40” and their occasional younger visitors listened to them. Therefore, the albums were not sold even among fans. These were exclusively song artists.
The album era of the genre only came into vogue in the late sixties and then flourished in the seventies. Now country is successfully competing with hip-hop and pop music.
There are already legends among country performers, many of whom even have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Dolly Parton, for example. And some consistently enter the top 5 most popular musicians every year. The same Taylor Swift not only became a teen idol, but also one of the best-selling singers in history.
What is country music?
The question “what is country” has been asked and will be asked endlessly, and there are a lot of definitions. As a rule, these are always songs about the personal. When compared with Russian music, it is close to chanson, but without prison lyrics and jargon.
The compilers of the rating note that there is no alt-country and country-rock in it. Here are albums that can be called classics of the genre.
Best Country Albums – Top 20:
- Dolly Parton
- Waylon Jennings – Dreaming My Dreams (1975)
- Willie Nelson – Red Headed Stranger (1975)
- Ray Charles – Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music (1962)
- The Chicks – Fly (1999)
- Lucinda Williams – Car Wheels On A Gravel Road (1998)
- Merle Haggard – Serving 190 Proof (1979)
- Shania Twain – Come On Over (1997)
- Randy Travis – Storms Of Life (1986)
- Taylor Swift – Fearless (2008)
- Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison (1968)
- The Judds – Why Not Me (1984)
- Miranda Lambert
- George Jones
- Patsy Cline – Showcase (1961)
- Tom T. Hall – In Search Of A Song (1971)
- Loretta Lynn – Coal Miner’s Daughter (1970)
- Gary Stewart – Out Of Hand (1975)
- George Strait
- Rosanne Cash